Saturday, May 30, 2009

Funny Girl Cameron Diaz Gets Serious






‘My father died almost exactly a year ago,” Cameron Diaz says. “It’s still such a huge thing in my life. There’s no way that I could ever say enough about him. I could never explain how amazing he was. A life that big, somebody that incredible, doesn’t leave. He’s still part of our family. We talk about him all the time.”

Diaz was in the midst of filming the heartbreaking My Sister’s Keeper, playing a mother fighting to save the life of her terminally ill daughter, when she faced a tragedy of her own. Her 58-year-old father, Emilio, died suddenly of complications from pneumonia. Production came to a halt as Diaz headed home to be with her family before returning to complete the film, which opens June 26.

Playing a parent facing the end of her child’s life would be a challenge for any actress, but I asked Diaz how the loss of her father influenced her performance.

“I was in shock,” she says. “Whether or not I got to take that experience and apply it to my work is something that I can’t answer.”

She is extremely close to her mother, Billie, and her sister, Chimine. She credits her family with her work ethic, her backbone, and her admittedly weird sense of humor. But her father was at the center of Diaz’s world.

A few years ago, we laughed together about how she had been brought up as a “daddy’s boy.”

“He was a huge football fan,” she says with a smile. “Dad didn’t have a son, so my sister and I sort of absorbed his love of sports. We’d watch a game, and he’d be screaming at the top of his lungs. Dad was so funny and such a boy. It was great to have that influence in my life.”

Source: cameronfan.com/

No comments:

A great find from Facebook

 * I didn’t write this * As you know, I once was an evangelical megachurch pastor and my pastoral career stretched over many years. Eventual...