Monday, October 29, 2018

Review of the book Anxious For Nothing by Max Lucado



I really enjoyed this book. I suffer from anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, agoraphobia and so much more and this book really inspired me.

On page 5 he wrote " Anxiety takes our breath, for sure. If only that were all it took. It also takes our sleep. Our energy, Our well-being...Harm to our necks, jaws, backs, and bowels. Anxiety can make our eyes twitch, blood pressure rise, heads ache and armpits sweat. Chances are that you or someone you know seriously struggles with anxiety. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, anxiety disorders are reaching epidemic proportions. In a given year, nearly 50 million Americans will feel the effects of a panic attack, phobias, or other anxiety disorders. Our chests will tighten. We'll feel dizzy and light-headed. We'll fear crowds and avoid people. Anxiety disorders in the United States are the number one mental health problem among...women and are second only to alcohol and drug abuse among men.  The United States is now the most anxious nation in the world. The land of the Stars and Stripes has become the country of stress and strife. This is a costly achievement. Stress related ailments cost the nation $300 billion every year in medical bills and lost productivity, while our usage of sedative drugs keep skyrocketing, just between 1997 and 2004. Americans doubled their spending on anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax and Valium, from $900 million to $2.1 billion...."

Another quote on page 46 which says " The is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror.Your future matters more than your past. In the great trapeze act of salvation, God is the catcher, and we are the flyers. We trust. Period. We rely solely upon God's ability to catch us. As we do, a wonderful thing happens: we fly. Your Father has never dropped anyone. He will not drop you. His grip is sturdy and his hands are open. As the apostle proclaimed," And I know the Lord will continue to rescue me from every trip, trap and snare, and pitfall of evil and carry me safely to his heavenly kingdom. May he be glorified throughout eternity. Amen(2nd Peter 4:18)"

Another quote on page 127 which reads " I watched the interactions with a silent sense of awe. It is easy to praise God during seasons of wellness. But it was during my greatest distress when I felt the Lord's presence poured upon me. And it was in those heartbreaking moments I learned to trust this God who provided unimaginable strength during unimaginable pain. He will help you as well, my friend. Guard your thoughts and trust your Father."

No comments:

A great find from Facebook

 * I didn’t write this * As you know, I once was an evangelical megachurch pastor and my pastoral career stretched over many years. Eventual...