Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Tyler Perry Discusses Abusive Childhood

Tyler Perry explains why the movie 'Precious' moved him so much that he signed on as executive producer after seeing it at a film festival: because of his own experiences as an abused child.

"[A]s I child I always thought I would die before I grew up...

"My father came home, mad at the world," he writes. "He was drunk, as he was most of the time. He got the vacuum cleaner extension cord and trapped me in a room and beat me until the skin was coming off my back."

That's only one of the many horrific experiences Tyler recounts on his website. He also writes about watching his father beat his mother, his own experience being sexually abused by a friend's mother, and one time when his grandmother bathed him in ammonia.

Tyler wrote that any money he or Oprah Winfrey make from 'Precious' will be donated to charity and why he wants people to see this film.

I sat there in tears realizing that somehow, by the grace of God, I made it through. My tears were tears of joy, being thankful that I made it... It gave me so much hope after watching it. For everyone who has been a Precious, male or female, this movie will make you so glad you made it through.

Source: ImNotObessed

No comments:

A great find from Facebook

 * I didn’t write this * As you know, I once was an evangelical megachurch pastor and my pastoral career stretched over many years. Eventual...