Saturday, February 23, 2019

Review Of The Book Beyond Belief by Susan Tive and Cami Ostman

On page 44 it says " Why would heavenly father make eternal salvation dependent on a few sentences and a dip in a hot tub? Can't he just look in our hearts and know?

On page 58 the rabbi said " A woman's voice is a precious jewel, of course a jewel shouldn't be flashed around. A jewel should be kept in a safe and treasured place. That is why women are not to sing in public."

On page 63 it says " were we really like the cursed children of Cain, destined to be slaves because God made it so? And if he really loved us, how were we, his children, Allowed to suffer so much?

On page 76 it says " Jesus claimed to know the truth.the way, and the life, so I wanted to know him-to sit at his feet and drink him in, his words,his ways, everything. "

On page 143 it says " I can't believe that a child would be better off with a mother committing suicide than she would be in daycare... Of course he would be better and safer in daycare than with a mother in the home with severe mental illness"

On page 199 it says" I just cannot imagine a God who wouldn't admit to heaven a Loatian, a Tibetan, an African who never heard the won Christian? How can an all knowing, just God sent eternal life to someone just because he was unlucky enough to be born in a pagan country? I can't see God that way...it's just...to mean"

On page 241 " Religion wasn't worth it if solitude, divorce,and decimated self worth were the fruits of trying see so hard to do the right thing"

On page 246 it says " my mother, like all Jehovah's witnesses, saw persecution as proof that we were special and beloved by the one true master."

On page 249 " I continued to go to the meetings and out in service every weekend. I conducted Bible studies with people of good faithwho were hungry for the truth. Yet I knew in my heart I was starving. I was living an inauthentic life, taking no pride at all separating the sheep from the goats. Like a racehorse at the starting date, I felt pumped to run, snorting at the sight of the track, waiting for the Bell to ring and the gate to open to a much mider world."


No comments:

A great find from Facebook

 * I didn’t write this * As you know, I once was an evangelical megachurch pastor and my pastoral career stretched over many years. Eventual...